Monday, April 23, 2007

Week 10: Gaming & Virtual Environments

I'm sure like everyone else we've all played Solitare on the computer. I don't play often but when I do it's addictive. I've played Bejeweled, Mah Jong tiles, and jigsaw puzzles online. Again, they can be very addictive.

I signed up for IMVU and Second life but the work computer did not allow me to download the necessary program to view it. I'll have to give it a try at home.

Due to my busy home life I don't have much time to dabble into Gaming deeper. Maybe one day.

In terms of gaming in a library environment, I could honestly see a virtual library. Students could go to each floor and learn where their book is kept and even sign an ebook out online! They could also learn about fines, how to use the library, what collections are in which library etc... just by being a virtual character. They would learn more about the library even before stepping into the building. I'm wondering now if a library made itself available to this gaming virtual format this would be a new way of instant messaging with patrons.

No comments: